As the Centre for Effective Altruism continues to expand our Oxford-based team, we are currently recruiting for the following roles:
- Director of Development for CEA
- Director of Community for Giving What We Can
- Lead Developer for 80,000 Hours
- Careers Analyst for 80,000 Hours
- Interns on our Graduate Volunteer Scheme
Apply for jobs by 5pm GMT on February the 28th using this form. You can apply for internships here; you will be more likely to be offered an internship if you apply by the same deadline, but we welcome applications after it too. For more information about the roles, see below, or see the full descriptions on our recruitment page.
Director of Development for CEACEA is a young and rapidly growing charity which has grown to a £300,000 annual budget over 18 months. In this role you’ll principally be fundraising for the two innovative organisations that are part of CEA: 80,000 Hours and Giving What We Can. We also have a track record of incubating new charitable projects, and are continuing to expand into new areas.
In order to meet its growth targets CEA has set the ambitious goal of raising an extra £150,000 over the next year. Currently CEA is funded primarily by ‘high net worth’ individuals, but also by a number of medium-sized donors and grants. For this role we are interested in people with previous experience in fundraising, in particular the following activities:
- Writing fundraising materials (e.g. pitching projects)
- Grant writing
- Identifying, establishing and building relationships with major donors
- More general donor relationship management.
Director of Community at Giving What We CanGiving What We Can is looking for an exceptional candidate to lead its outreach to existing and potential members. We have found that in order to be willing to pledge to give 10% of their income for the rest of their lives, people need personal contact with a friendly member of staff who can answer their questions and introduce them to other people doing the same. The right person for this job would be extroverted, friendly, and excited about talking to up to 20 people each week about giving to cost-effective charities or taking our 10% giving pledge.
Lead Developer at 80,000 HoursWe’ve got an exciting opportunity to become a core member of the 80,000 Hours team. We’re looking for someone to join us in a full-time paid position as a lead developer, helping 80,000 Hours drive forward its mission to help thousands of people identify and take high leverage ways to have a social impact. In this role you would:
- Use Ruby on Rails to build our website as an engaging online platform for people to learn about our research.
- Help develop new products, such as a career network or an interactive careers guide.
- Be involved in other parts of 80,000 Hours
- Manage volunteers, interns and contractors to work on tech and design.
- There may also be the opportunity to work more broadly with the Centre for Effective Altruism, helping to foster new high-impact tech projects.
Careers Analyst at 80,000 HoursWe also have another exciting opportunity to become a core member of the 80,000 Hours team. We’re looking for someone to join us in a full time paid position as a Careers Analyst, helping us in our mission through providing high quality high impact careers guidance. In this role you would:
- Give one-on-one coaching to amazing people who want to change the world, as part of our case studies
- Do research into ﬁnding the most promising career opportunities in the world
- Promote our research in the international media, online and through other outreach
- Monitor our impact.
For this role we are particularly interested in people with knowledge of economics.