Epoch is hiring of a Product and Data Visualization Designer to own the design and visual communication of our research. This role is fully remote and we are able to hire in many countries. Annual salary is between $60,000 and $80,000 USD, not restricted to this currency. If you have questions or would like to share any leads, please write to us at email@example.com.
About the Position
Epoch is in search of a Product and Data Visualization Designer to own the design and visual communication of our research. The person in this role will be the creative force behind how our research is experienced and understood globally. They will help us articulate complex data and insights through UI and UX that is both intuitive and engaging, and maintain a cohesive visual identity across all of Epoch's communication channels, including our website, interactive dashboards, and data visualizations. This work will be key for enhancing our dialogue with the research community and stakeholders.
The successful candidate will report to head of operations María de la Lama, and work closely with our head of software engineering Eduardo Roldán and our data scientist Robi Rahman.
This role is fully remote, and we are able to hire in many countries (see “Additional information” for details). We welcome both full-time and part-time applicants, with a preference for full-time candidates.
Epoch is a research institute that investigates trends in machine learning and the economic consequences of AI.
Our work informs research and policy-making at the UK Department of Science, Innovation and Technology, Anthropic, the Centre for the Governance of AI, the Centre for Data Ethics and Innovation, Open Philanthropy, the Center for Security and Emerging Technology and elsewhere. Epoch’s research has been cited in media publications such as the MIT Technology Review and The Economist, and underpins Our World In Data’s AI visualizations.
- Maintaining and updating the design of our website.
- Designing graphs and visualizations for our interactive reports, papers and presentations, to ensure we are communicating our research effectively.
- Designing and reviewing interactive dashboards to summarize our research (example).
- Designing and reviewing playgrounds for interactive models of AI and automation (example 1, example 2)
- Designing various other external facing documents and templates, such as our newsletter or reports for stakeholders.
- Conducting user research and interviews with our stakeholders on design elements.
- Depending on your interests and skills, you could get involved in other aspects of our communications, such as homogenizing the structure and style of our papers, among others.
What We Are Looking For
- At least 3 years of UI and UX experience, incl. web design, graphic design, and brand design
- At least 1 year of data visualization experience, incl. creating charts and data visualizations for publications, marketing and UI dashboards
- Portfolio showcasing work in UI/UX and data visualization
- Aesthetic intuition to create visually appealing and effective designs
- Skill in communicating complex insights to non-expert audiences.
- Experience in Figma or a similar UI software
- Intellectual curiosity and open-mindedness
- Interest in Epoch’s work
Nice to have
- 4 or more years of UI and UX experience.
- 2 or more years of data visualization experience.
- Familiarity with Epoch’s research or related topics.
- Experience with scientific communication.
- Front-end development experience in HTML + CSS + JS.
- Experience with Pyplot, Plotlib or other data visualization programming tools.
- Good written communication skills.
- Annual salary between the following ranges pre-tax for a full-time position.
- $60,000 - $80,000 USD
- €55,604 - €74,139
- £47,586 - £63,448
- Payments are not restricted to the currencies listed above, and may be made in different currencies and payment intervals depending on the location of applicants and legal requirements.
- Conversions from base salaries in USD are based on 1-year-average exchange rates that are updated annually.
- Flexible work hours and location
- Comprehensive global benefits package (while they vary by country, we make every effort to ensure that our benefits package is equitable and high-quality for all staff)
- Generous paid time off leave, including, but not limited to:
- Unlimited vacation with a minimum of 30 days off per year
- Unlimited (within reason) personal and sick leave
- Parental leave - up to 6 months of parental leave during the first 2 years after a child’s birth or adoption for parents of all genders
- For more details about our benefits, please see our Benefit Package for Permanent Roles
- A caring team that values respectful work relations and a healthy work-life balance
- Opportunities to grow/advance your career and engage in professional development
- Low administrative bureaucracy
- We don’t provide snacks but we could mail you a box of Oreos if you want!
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about this role.
- While we welcome applicants from all time zones, you may be expected to attend meetings during working hours between UTC-8 and UTC+3 time zones, where most of our staff are based. This role is open only to full-time candidates who are available to work at 40 hours per week.
- Extension requests: We will try to accommodate extension requests that are made before the deadline and are up to five (5) days. We generally cannot accommodate extension requests made on or after the application deadline, or are longer than 5 days, and cannot accept late submissions to ensure fairness to other applicants.
- Language: Please submit all of your application materials in English and note that we require professional level English proficiency.
- Travel: Travel is not an essential requirement for this position. However, a majority of our staff travel a few times per year for conferences, retreats, and other work-related purposes. In most cases, travel is not mandatory, but encouraged.
- Accessibility: We’re committed to running an inclusive and accessible application process. We warmly invite you to reach out to email@example.com with any questions or accessibility requests such as chat box use during interviews.
- Inclusivity and fairness: Epoch is committed to building an inclusive, equitable, and supportive community for you to thrive and do your best work. We’re committed to finding the best people for our team, so please don’t hesitate to apply for a role regardless of your age, gender identity/expression, political identity, personal preferences, physical abilities, veteran status, neurodiversity or any other background. We provide reasonable accommodations and benefits, including, for example, flexible work schedules and locations, mental health coverage in medical benefits (as available), and budgets, to purchase assistive technology or engage in job coaching.
- Epoch is fiscally sponsored by Rethink Priorities.