We've started making audio narrations of some of the best posts from the EA Forum.
As of today, you can subscribe to the podcast:
|EA Forum (Curated & Popular)|
Audio narrations from the Effective Altruism Forum, including curated posts and posts with 125+ karma.
Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | RSS
|EA Forum (All audio)|
Audio narrations from the Effective Altruism Forum, including curated posts, posts with 30+ karma, and other great writing.
Apple Podcasts | Spotify | RSS | Google Podcasts (soon)
Edit 2023-05-30: we reworked our podcast feeds a bit. We've updated the list above to reflect the latest selection.
You'll also start to see narrations embedded on the EA Forum post pages themselves.
If a narration is available, you'll see a blue loudspeaker button:
What can I listen to now?
Some of the winning entries from the EA Criticism and Red Teaming Contest:
- Are you really in a race? The cautionary tales of Szilárd and Ellsberg by Haydn Belfield
- Does economic growth meaningfully improve well-being? by Vadim Albinsky
- Effective altruism in the garden of ends by Tyler Alterman
- Notes on effective altruism by Michael Nielsen
- Biological Anchors external review by Jennifer Lin
Some posts that were recently marked as “curated”:
- Counterarguments to the basic AI risk case by Katja Grace
- My take on What We Owe the Future by Eli Lifland
- Population ethics without axiology: A framework by Lukas Gloor
- 500 million, but not a single one more by jai
- AGI and lock-in by Lukas Finnveden, Jess Riedel, and Carl Shulman
- What matters to shrimps? Factors affecting shrimp welfare in aquaculture by Lucas Lewit-Mendes and Aaron Boddy
- Case for emergency response teams by Gavin and Jan Kulveit
- What happens on the average day? by Rose Hadshar
- How bad could a war get? by Stephen Clare and Rani Martin
Cool. But I have a lot of things to listen to. Could I just get the curated posts, or maybe just the summaries? Yes. You can subscribe to either of these:
Edit 2023-05-30: This feed has been retired. Subscribe to "Effective Altruism (Curated & Popular)" instead.
Edit 2023-05-30: The summaries project has been discontinued.
What about AI narrations? I want to listen to everything!
The Nonlinear Library project is currently generating AI narrations of all posts that meet a fairly low karma threshold.
Within the next few months, we are hoping to collaborate with Nonlinear to develop a system that generates even better AI narrations for most or all EA Forum posts. We see a path to better pronunciation, emphasis, and tone, and also to much better handling of images, graphs and formulae.
Who is working on this?
This project is run by the EA Forum Team, in collaboration with TYPE III AUDIO.
What about the existing “EA Forum Podcast”?
In July 2021, Garrett Baker and David Reinstein started a volunteer project to narrate EA Forum posts. The most recent narration was published in January 2022. Since September they’ve been publishing Zoe and Coleman’s weekly summary episodes.
We are grateful to Garrett and David for their work on this.
We’ve not yet heard what they plan to do next—presumably they’ll release an update to subscribers in due course.
Thoughts, feedback, suggestions?
We'd love to hear from you! Please comment below, or write to email@example.com.
If you’re already listening to Nonlinear Library AI narrations, we’d be especially interested to hear what you think of them. What would you most like to see improved?