- Edit: The original deadline was October 6th, 2023, but we reviewed applications on a rolling basis, and –as of September 25– we have now received and reviewed enough applications, so we've closed the role. We are sorry about this, and we hope to see your application in a future hiring round.
- Epoch is hiring a part-time Associate Data Analyst to annotate papers informing our research and stakeholders’ policy decisions.
- This is a fully remote independent contractor role. Contracts will be set up as a 1-month, renewable, independent contractor agreements.
- Compensation ranges from $20-$25 USD per hour, estimated at 5-25 hours of work per week.
- This is an excellent opportunity for those interested in doing impactful work while gaining exposure to cutting-edge machine learning advancements.
- Comment below or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
About the Position
We seek part-time associate data analysts to assist with our machine learning research efforts. This is an independent contractor role, and your main responsibility will be reading and analyzing recent machine learning papers to extract key details about model architectures, datasets, training procedures, and compute resources, and producing estimates of training inputs based on limited information. The person in the role would report to Robi Rahman, data scientist at Epoch.
This is an excellent opportunity for those interested in doing impactful work and gaining exposure to cutting-edge machine learning advancements. Data you collect will be featured in Our World in Data, used in our future research, and will inform international AI policy decisions through our stakeholders.
An ideal candidate for this role would be able to work independently and meet deadlines, understand common machine learning concepts and applications, have experience reading and analyzing academic papers, and have great attention to detail.
This role is fully remote, and we can set up contracts in many countries. Contracts will be set up as 1-month renewable independent contractor agreements. While we welcome applicants from all time zones, you will be expected to attend meetings during GMT-4 working hours. This role is, by default, designed for flexible part-time hours, estimated at 5 to 25 hours per week. However, depending on each candidate's suitability, availability and interest, more hours per week will be considered.
- Carefully reading assigned machine learning papers and identifying key information.
- Accurately extracting and compiling these technical details.
- Producing estimates of training inputs based on limited information.
- Completing assigned tasks within specified turnarounds, typically one batch per week.
- Meeting with Epoch's data scientist weekly to report results and get new papers.
What We Are Looking For
Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines reliably.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to systematically extract key information from research papers.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Understanding of common machine learning concepts and applications.
- Experience reading and analyzing academic papers.
What We Offer
- The default pay rate is $20 USD per hour, estimated at 5-15 hours of work per week (more hours, up to full-time, will be considered).
- This will be set up by default as a one-month independent contractor agreement renewed monthly.
- Compensation is not restricted to USD. Payments may be made in different currencies and payment intervals depending on the location of applicants.
- The exact salary will be based on the candidate’s prior relevant experience.
- Flexible work hours and location.
- Opportunities to grow/advance your career and engage in professional development.
- A caring team that values respectful work relations and a healthy work-life balance.
- Low administrative bureaucracy.
Epoch is an independent research organization that is producing world-class research on trends in Machine Learning and the economic consequences of AI.
Our work informs research and policy-making at Anthropic, the Centre for the Governance of AI, the Centre for Data Ethics and Innovation, Open Philanthropy, the Center for Security and Emerging Technology and elsewhere. Epoch’s research has been cited in media publications such as the MIT Technology Review and The Economist, and underpins Our World In Data’s AI visualizations.
Please email email@example.com if you have any questions about this role.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- We will try to accommodate extension requests. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
- Language: Please submit all of your application materials in English and note that we require professional level English proficiency.
- Travel: Travel is not a requirement or an offered benefit for this position.
- Accessibility: We’re committed to running an inclusive and accessible application process. We warmly invite you to reach out to email@example.com with any questions or accessibility requests such as chat box use during interviews.
- Inclusivity and fairness: Epoch is committed to building an inclusive, equitable, and supportive community for you to thrive and do your best work. We’re committed to finding the best people for our team, so please don’t hesitate to apply for a role regardless of your age, gender identity/expression, political identity, physical abilities, veteran status, neurodiversity or any other background.
- Epoch is an independent project, fiscally sponsored by Rethink Priorities.